The château de Pintray and its vineyard grounds
The Pintray site has almost always been occupied - there was already a settlement here in gallo-Romain times. But let us go back to the era when the site was first referred to in written documents.
The Pintray Manor has been mentioned since 1467. the fiefdom then belonged to a merchant draper named Pierre pelé, and was part o the domain of Roche Chargé.
There is a description of the Pintray in 1547 which then consisted of "houses, a barn, cattle sheds, a dovecote, a rabbit warren, vineyards, arable and uncultivated land, copses, bushes and thickets".
In 1578 the manor house belonged to François
Pain and his wife. Their coat of arms can be seen on the pediment
of the chapel, one of the two pavilions that can still be admired
The Duke of Choiseul was not to keep the Pintray estate
for very long, and he sold it to Luc Alen, a brigadier of the king's
army and a major in the regiment of Lally-Tollendal, at whose side
he fought wars in India.
"We entered a large main buiding
situated at the Pintray...comprising a kitchen, an office, a room
at the side, a drawing room, a closet for fruit, a bedroom, a servant's
room at the side, a small entrance corridor facing steps leading
up to the loft and a room in the mansard roof, a large room with
a glass door leading to the garden, a small corridor facing another
staircase likewise leading up to the loft and room in the roof,
another large room with a fireplace, a small side room, an attic
and two garrets all covered with slate, a garden area of about
2500 square metres enclosed by walls adorned with fruit trees,
a door leading to a south-facing vineyard, a small slate-covered
pavilion ot the corner of the north/south garden wall, latrines
in the other corner, a north entrance door closed by a wooden gate
with an area facing the building and fertilized at present with
hemp, which is half-quartered to contain an east-facing pavilion
with an attic, and a west-facing pavilion previously used as a
chapel - all of the buildings are roofed, partly with tiles but
mostly with slate."
.…The vineyard grounds
The Pintray is actually an ancient site of vineyards.
It was the monks of saint martin of Tours who extended cultivation
aroud Lussault. françois Ierand later Henri IV
enjoyed the wine from the surrounding hills whenever they visited
the Château de la Bourdaisière.